In and Out… In and Out…

When we went to visit Topher last night, his heart rate was slower than normal and his temperature was also lower than normal.  By the time we left, he was back into an isolette…  Hopefully we can try again with the crib soon.  Luckily, he’s still breathing room air; it’s been a whole week now!

Shane spoke with the surgeon, Dr. N, and we have some new answers for Topher’s reconnect.  The 5 kilos is a textbook number; there was no other reason than that.  When Dr. N heard that Topher was having issues with his ostomy (too much output) he agreed that a sooner reconnect would be better than a later reconnect; also his rate of growth has slowed down considerably (he’s supposed to gain 30-40 grams a day but only really gains 10-20 grams and even sometimes loses weight), so the sooner reconnect would help him grow faster.  Ideally though, Dr. N still wants Topher to be bigger, but only 3000 grams instead of the (seemingly impossible) 5000 grams.  We have a week to see how Topher grows while he’s back on continuous feeds before Dr. N makes a final decision.  In the meantime, Topher is “scheduled” for surgery, but there’s no definite time for it since it’s not an emergent case (you may remember that his first bowel surgery was originally scheduled for 8 a.m. but got pushed off until 4 that afternoon so that more emergent cases could be done).  He’s just on the surgery team’s radar until further notice.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: